Q. Why is this in news ?
Union Education Minister launches NIPUN Bharat Programme.
Q. What About the Programme?
- NIPUN stands for the National Initiative for Proficiency in Reading with Understanding and Numeracy.
- The Programme is an initiative of the Ministry of Education.
- It will be implemented by the Department of School Education and Literacy.
- Target: It has been envisioned for ensuring that every child in the country necessarily attains foundational literacy and numeracy by the end of Grade 3, by 2026-27.
- It will cover the learning needs of children in the age group of 3 to 9 years.
Q. What about its implementation ?
A five-tier implementation mechanism will be set up at the National- State- District- Block- School level in all States and UTs, under the aegis of the centrally sponsored scheme of Samagra Shiksha.
Q. What are its focus areas?
- The mission focuses on different domains of development like physical and motor development, socio-emotional development, literacy and numeracy development, cognitive development, life skills etc. for Holistic development of the child.
- It is envisaged to support and encourage students, along with their schools, teachers, parents, and communities, in every way possible, to help realise the true potential of children and propel the country to new heights.
Q. What are its key components and expected outcomes of NIPUN Bharat Mission?
- Foundational skills enable to keep children in class thereby reducing the dropouts and improve transition rate from primary to upper primary and secondary stages.
- Activity based learning and a conducive learning environment will improve the quality of education.
- Innovative pedagogies such as toy-based and experiential learning will be used in classroom transactions thereby making learning a joyful and engaging activity.
- Intensive capacity building of teachers will make them empowered and provide greater autonomy for choosing the pedagogy.